Sunday, November 14, 2010

Test-driving your Piano

Imagine test-driving a 100 year old car...a 50 year old car...a 25 year old car...a 5 year old car...  


The older a car (and a piano) get the more there is to watch out for and to keep 'em running smoothly you need a good mechanic (in piano land they call the mechanic a "technician").

My husband is so great.  I am talking in circles right now about whether or not an old piano is really the right move and will there be surprise break-downs with an old piano and will I really be okay with the featherweight touch of an old piano...

He knows nothing about pianos and he's patiently listening...

He compares my quandry about whether or not a 100 year old piano is a good choice to his passion for BMW's and test-driving one.  Is it a good one?  The mechanic thinks it is.  If you're not sure after the mechanic tells you it's probably okay, what do you do?  


You test drive it again!


There are so many things that can go wrong with old cars and perhaps with old pianos. Generally, you don't keep a BMW for 50 years or more though.  


We DO keep pianos in our family for 50 years or more.  I can imagine this piano might outlive all of us...if it's a good one that is.

I have always told parents to choose a piano they like.  


If you like it you will be happy, I say.  
And they are.  
It's so much easier to give that advice.  I am trying to listen to that advice now.



But how do I know for sure???

I thought I found one I liked (it's more than 100 years old) and then I read up on 100 year old pianos on the internet...wow...if this really is a good piano, it will be a rarity.  Most piano tuners and technicians steer people away from pianos that old.  

My budget doesn't allow for a really good piano...so I'm looking for a piano I like.


I guess I'll take it for another test-drive.  I'll ask the piano shop guy if I can drive it by myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...