Saturday, November 13, 2010

FREE Piano - says the ad

So I've begun my search for our piano.  I go to craigslist.  There are 3 upright pianos listed. Two are $200 and one is FREE.   I call them all.  The $200 ones are gone by morning.  The free piano is still available.

When I get to the free piano....I am surprised.  It doesn't look like I imagine it might...on the phone he said it wasn't a livingroom piano...it's a basement piano.

I imagine it looks like this!
  
But it doesn't. 

It looks more like this...but with more wear and tear, scratches and an unimpressive finish.




I like the free piano.
I play it and say I like it.  They tell me they were counselled to take it to the dump.  sigh...

Well, I think it's still playable.  Maybe not the greatest but...the dump???

It's been in their family since the early 1900's...it was the grandmother's piano and now all the grandkids have learned to play on it...obviously there is a sentimental attachment on their part...but why on mine???

They have a new piano given to them by an aunt...it's a Petrof upright...shiny black and modern "touch".
Beautiful tone.  Lovely case...a piece of living room furniture for sure.

I still like the old one though....which is funny for me because I usually have a gut reaction that steers me away from older uprights.  The keys feel loose and wiggly and the tone is unbalanced and too bright or too bassy or too something.  This old FREE piano feels kind of comfortable.

I say, don't take it to the dump.  I don't know if it's the right piano for our house but it's still playable and there has got to be a family somewhere that would love to have it...for FREE.

I go to Barkman's Pianos and talk to Glen about it.  He doesn't believe in taking pianos to the dump either....electric pianos maybe...but acoustic pianos....they can be saved.

The next day I leave a message....call Glen, I tell them.  He will keep your family piano out of the dump.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...