Thursday, November 4, 2010

Electric or Acoustic?

My husband and I have been talking about pianos.  I need one.  He's okay without one.  

This fall I realized I "needed" one in our home.  Having a piano or two at my music studio down the street is fine but my home just hasn't felt like a home without my piano.  I used to have a piano at home and two at the studio.  There have been changes in the last few years and now there are two pianos at the studio, one at my nephew's home and not one in our home.  I seemed to be coping well until this past fall. 

My wonderful husband lovingly suggested we will talk about pianos and come to some sort of consensus about having one.  He thinks we should get a digital/electronic piano.  It makes sense to him.  He didn't grow up with a piano in his house.  He grew up with books and art and conversation and philosophy and the magic of classical literature.

We live in a small house.  Having a piano would impact everyone who lives in the house because there isn't a separate room for the piano.  If it's electric then you can wear headphones when you play it and no one will hear you.  From his perspective that's perfect...what if he wants to watch soccer or hockey or football and I want to play piano at that time?  

I don't think this is a consensus issue.  I think it's a quality of life issue.  I suggested headphones for the TV and continue the rally for an acoustic piano.  

Acoustic pianos have vibrations that your entire body will absorb as you play.  I think hearing piano music in a family home is...well...awesome!  I grew up in a home where the piano was the focus and the TV lived in the basement with the spiders.  I'm okay with a piano taking over the sound space in a home.  I think it gives a home soul and love and spirit!

Now there is serious consideration for a move to a slightly bigger house with a separate room for a piano.  Until then...I'm writing a blog about the missing member of our family...the piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...