Monday, February 7, 2011

Stewart Goodyear - Stunning Performance with the Victoria Symphony


Stewart Goodyear playing Beethoven's Hammerklavier sonata .mov


If you ever have the chance to see Stewart Goodyear perform live...jump at it!

Above is a youtube video of Stewart playing Beethoven...it's not the work I heard live yesterday, but at least you'll know who I'm talking about.

He is a Toronto native and a charismatic pianist.

I don't think I've ever been riveted by a classical pianist performing quite the way I was riveted on Stewart's yesterday afternoon.
While he played, I'm not sure I even noticed the symphony. He plays with his entire body and draws your attention completely to his playing. (His hands actually reminded me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon where bugs plays piano.)

He was called in at the last moment to fill in for Andre LaPlante (who'd had a car accident) and played Beethoven's "Emperor" Piano Concerto No.5 with the Victoria Symphony. 

After the first movement the audience applauded...that is unusual in itself. Usually everyone sits there politely and waits for the second movement. 

Then, the adagio was breath-taking. After the third movement he received a standing ovation.

I know for sure I've never heard or seen a performance quite like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...