Monday, December 27, 2010

Christmas 2010

This Christmas I offered to lead a carolling party as a pianist.  

I had an opportunity to play an older piano called a Bluthner.  It's known as the accompanist's piano and has a gentle touch and lovely soft sound.  What a delight!  It was unlike any piano I have ever played and I hope to have a chance to play it again.




The piano I played looked a lot like this one, with beautifully carved legs and a cafe au lait wood tone.  Absolutely stunning to look at and to play!


The other piano I played this holiday was an upright Yamaha.  Not nearly as pleasureable to play as the Bluthner!  It had a more modern piano sound, clean and loud.  

This one I ended up performing on by default one day.  I arrived at the home where my grandmother is living, to accompany her to a gypsy swing ensemble performance.  Somehow that group did not arrive and so my grandmother (and others) were ready for entertainment and nothing was happening.  I offered to play Christmas carols.  One of the residents went to her suite and brought back several old carolling books and I sight-read through them.

The residents enjoyed my playing.
My baba LOVED my playing.
I wished I had been practising more the past couple of decades!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...