Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Changing the strings on your piano is just more complex than changing the strings on your guitar

Today I found out that when you want new piano strings for your piano, they are custom made for YOUR piano.  Wow...


I had no idea.


I am used to stopping by the music store and picking up a set of guitar strings when I need them...or a set of violin strings or banjo strings.


There is a special computer program that calibrates the width of a string to 1/1000th of an inch.


Measurements are affected by what type of piano you have, how old it is, how long the strings are at present.  The piano is such a complex instrument with so many little bits and pieces.


I feel like someone who has always had a car but never looked under the hood.  The car needs special parts and they are special ordered.  It's exactly the same with a piano.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...